Did you know that March is nutrition month? Dietitians are your best resource to unlock the potential of food for simple, nutritious, and sustainable meals. Edmonton North PCN has a team of dietitians who can help you make the most of your nutrition!
To access services from a dietitian at the Edmonton North PCN, your first step is to talk to your family doctor and ask them for a referral. We also offer a number of free classes that do not require a referral from a family doctor to help you on your journey to wellness.
Since it is Nutrition Month, our dietitian team wanted to share some resources with you to answer some common questions about the services a dietitians offer from Dietitians of Canada, including the Top 5 Reasons to see a Dietitian:
- You want to prevent or manage a health condition like diabetes, high cholesterol or high blood pressure. Changes to your diet and eating habits can prevent or improve certain health conditions. A dietitian can work with you to develop the skills to read food labels, plan meals and identify foods that improve your health and help you meet your goals.
- You have a digestive issue like irritable bowel syndrome, acid reflux, celiac disease, Crohn’s disease or Colitis. A dietitian can help you figure out which foods and beverages give you symptoms like bloating, cramping, burping, heartburn or diarrhea so that you can reduce or avoid them. At the same time, they will make sure that you get the nutrients that you need from your diet and that you include foods that you enjoy.
- You have a food allergy or intolerance. It can be hard to know what to eat when you have a food allergy or intolerance. A dietitian can help you work out what foods you can safely eat and what foods you need to avoid. They will help you find substitutions to keep your diet nutritious and above all enjoyable.
- You would like accurate, practical advice to improve the way you eat and feel. Nutrition can be confusing, especially with the amount of nutrition advice and information that surrounds all of us. Dietitians have the skills and expertise to help you look beyond the fads and gimmicks and provide you with trusted nutrition and food information. A dietitian can look at your diet to help you set goals to improve it. They can give you skills to read nutrition labels, help you create meal plans, give you grocery shopping suggestions and more.
- You want help feeding a picky eater. Getting your child to try a new food or eat different foods can be frustrating. It can make mealtimes stressful for you, your child and the rest of the family. A dietitian can work with you to make mealtimes more pleasurable by giving you ideas and strategies to get your child more interested in trying new foods.